Reality Check

I'm going to be honest with you right now and agree that there is nothing particularly fascinating about this look. Why am I posting it then? Because I've been blogging for a long time (since 2006) and it's still so easy to get caught up into the faux-ideal nature of the entire blogging machine. You know the game, where you scroll across your favorite carefully curated blogs and begin to compare your basic unfiltered life to the shiny, highly edited blogger ones. Bad move.
What's worse, at your weakest points, you begin to feel downright awful about your current wardrobe/body/house/life. Yuck. It was this mentality that has kept me from posting this photo of me in what I consider a "safety outfit" — one of those failsafe combinations that you feel kind of great in, no matter what. More often than not, fashion for me isn't so much about impressing others but feeling good with myself. Well in the instance above not even this reliable outfit could make me feel great. Upon reviewing the photos my immediate thoughts were, OMG, my legs, so big! My hair, those roots, yuck! 
Weeks later, here I am, more even-keeled and looking at this photo with a more rested brain and thinking what the hell was my problem to begin with. I am a human person. I have lows and I recover just like everyone else. I'm not always at the top of my game, so why am I going to hide it from people? This blog has always been first and foremost for me, never about getting big or famous, and one of the most rewarding (sometimes hilariously awkward) things has been seeing my style and mentality towards fashion grow over time. So there you go. 
TMI? I hope not!

6 comments:

  1. “Beautiful things don’t ask for attention.”
    — James Thurber, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog yesterday and i must say its refreshing; it may be about 6 month ago that i was exposed to the blogosphere (i guess i am totally late here but, too much life and work can do this to you) and am following few fashion bloggers to get ideas on how to dress better. however as you say, some of them are overdone, and you can easily get carried away and wear striped skirt and pink sweater outfit to the office (i felt so ridiculous....); some of them are over-perfect. so now i am very carefull and actually understand more what i like and do not like. by the way, you look great here, i am also loving the all black outfits. Olga (yes, my name is Olga)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, name twin! Happy you like my blog.

      Delete
  3. Right on! A good reminder. I've always appreciated the candor on your blog (budgeting for fashion, work schedules, body image, etc). Please know that you are lovely, your work is lovely--even your "safety outfit."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacki! This was a very sweet comment. :)

      Delete